Late Summer and McCall’s 6400

 

008

The weather is perfect around this time of year.  Not searingly hot,  and nowhere near too cold.  Summer has been kind and mild this September,  and the onset of autumn is creeping up gently,  giving me a chance to adjust to the change of seasons at a relaxed pace.

I’ve been sewing some three quarter sleeve tops in order to be prepared for the cooler weather. One of them is McCall’s 6400,  which I bought about a month ago, and now just discovered is out of print.   Got it just in time!  It’s an easy to sew stretch knit shirt pattern.  I made it out of very stretchy rayon knit,  the kind of knit that’s very thin and floppy and has a lot of drape.  As far as construction goes,  it couldn’t be easier:  a two piece batwing asymetrical design –  just sew the front and back together,   and you’re done.   All that’s left are the hems.  Simple, huh?  Well yes, until the neckline turned out to be too large.  I cut the shirt in a medium and when I tried it on before hemming it seemed ok.  However, after it was hemmed it lost its “cling” that this kind of fabric has in its un-hemmed state,  and became floppier,  to the point of almost falling off my shoulders,  which means bra straps were also showing.  No good.   I was disappointed and annoyed,  but I was also determined to fix it!

Here’s what I did:

I tried on the shirt again,  and with a piece of chalk in hand,  marked the points where the neckline should meet above my shoulders in order to fit right and stay put.

The neckline before alteration.  It was way too large.

The neckline before alteration. It was way too large.

One side of the neckline with alter points marked.

One side of the neckline with alter points marked.

The other side of the neckline marked with chalked alter points.

The other side of the neckline marked with chalked alter points.

Then,  I pinned the shirt at the chalked alter points.

Neckline pinned at the marked alter points.

Neckline pinned at the marked alter points.

Next,  I drew a new seam line from the shoulder to my alter point.   I did this for both sides.

Same for the other side.

New seam line drawn in chalk.

Then,  I carefully stitched over the chalk line to my pin.

The chalk line stitched through,  creating a new shoulder seam.

The chalk line stitched through, creating a new shoulder seam.

Then the final step.  Cutting away the old seam line.

Making the cut alongside the new seamline.

Making the cut alongside the new seamline.

Almost done...

Almost done…

And voila!  Oversized neckline fixed!

And voila! Oversized neckline fixed!

It worked,  and it fit a lot better!  All problems of fit should be this easy!

Here’s  some more pics of how it looks:

 

009

022

024

026

028

Alteration photography by me.

Fashion photography by Photo0pal

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s