Dragon Shirt Refashion and Burda 6990

My latest outfit drew it’s inspiration from one of my son’s shirts that no longer fits him.  It was a hoodie shirt by Unionbay with an awesome print of silver dragons on the front.  It was way too nice to throw or give away:  something new had to be made from that print panel!  The most obvious choice for me was a skirt,  as the panel’s shape and size lent itself to that.  More on this after I discuss the shirt.

Burda 6990

I had some grey performance type jersey that I had originally planned on making a pair of pants out of.  Instead I made a shirt out of it with Burda 6990 ,  a pattern I bought on sale at Joann’s a month ago.  I made view C,  which is a funnel neck long sleeve raglan top.  It was an easy make and fits me well,  however the one thing I overlooked was to shorten the sleeve length during cutting.  Burda’s patterns are (in my opinion) drafted for taller women with longer arms than my own,  and I forgot about that when cutting the pattern.  Instead of cutting the sleeves down,   I made sleeve “mitts” out of the extra length by ripping the seam in the area that lines up with my thumb,  and sealing it off with stitching.  I then lettuce edged the cut end instead of hemming it (for extra style).   Now I have a shirt with hand warming capability,  which is nice during this last phase of winter,  when I might want some hand coverage but gloves might be too much.

The Shirt to Skirt Refashion 

I wanted to preserve the panel as best as possible,  and I felt that it needed some shoring up so I picked up some Easy Knit interfacing by Pellon  and fused that to the back of the panel.  I then used the fabric from the back of the hoodie to overlay onto the facing, as I was concerned about wear and tear on the interfacing and thought it should be backed by something.  What better idea than to upcycle the remaining fabric of the hoodie? It was the same size anyway,  so why not?

The shirt that no longer fit my son but had a beautiful print on the front

The shirt that no longer fit my son but had a beautiful print on the front

The Pellon Interfacing I used to back the print panel

The Pellon Interfacing I used to back the print panel

The print panel backed with the interfacing

The print panel backed with the interfacing

Straightening the edges of the print panel: remember,  it was a shirt, so it had curves .

Straightening the edges of the print panel: remember, it was a shirt, so it had curves .

After the panel was prepared,  I used the remaining jersey left over from the Burda top to make the back panel of my skirt.  There was just enough left for that!  I added two darts to the back piece,  because the difference between my waist and hips might cause bunching,  and I wanted to make sure that didn’t happen. Next I cut 2 panels of black rib knit for the sides of my skirt.  I used measurements and drafted a paper pattern for those pieces.  The rib knit was supposed to be for the waistband of the pants I mentioned earlier,  but it too was re-purposed for this project.  I pieced the side panels to the front, and then to the back.  I added twin needle stitching to all the seams on this skirt.  I really love the RTW look it gives.  I then drafted a waistband.and attached it to the skirt.  It fit fine without elastic,  but I wasn’t quite pleased with the look.  I knew that the front panel couldn’t be elasticized because it needed to lay flat in order to be seen.  Adding elastic would make it bunch.  I decided to add elastic to the back of the waistband only,  which  is a technique I like and have used before on skirts.  It gives fit definition to the waist without disturbing the look of the front of the skirt.  Finally,  I lettuce edged the sides and back panels of the skirt to match the sleeves of my shirt.   And there you have it,  outfit completed!

Dragon 2

Showing the sleeve mitts

Showing the sleeve mitts

Close up of the print panel

Close up of the print panel

Close up of the back panel darts

Close up of the back panel darts

Dragon 8

Dragon 9

Dragon 10

Fashion photography by: Photo0pal

Black Hoodie by Hoodiebuddie (it has an MP3 player hookup in the pockets and ear buds at the end of the drawstrings!)

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Dragon Shirt Refashion and Burda 6990

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s